Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said police could not announce earlier as the operation was still in progress.
“I did not report the matter earlier as follow-up actions were being carried out.
“I know the media got wind of the operation earlier but I told them to cooperate to ensure the manhunt went smoothly,” he told reporters after presenting certificates of a Proctor Malaysia Integrity Test at Bukit Aman here Thursday.
A Malay language news portal quoting police sources reported the main suspect in Shaharuddin’s murder case had been held at a house in Ampang at about 5 am yesterday.
Police also detained three accomplices in another raid in Batu Caves and four of them were brought to court in Putrajaya to obtain a remand order.
In the incident at 8.15 am on April 26 last year, Shaharuddin was shot dead while on the way from his house in Dengkil to office.
The victim who was seated beside the driver of a four-wheel drive was shot three times by one of the two men on a motorcycle at the Lebuh Sentosa traffic light in Putrajaya.